To promote high standards of planning, architecture and design; to inform people about the history, geography and conservation of the natural and built environment in Usk and surrounding parishes not covered by other Civic Societies.
What we do:
We take an active and positive interest in planning policies and proposals and proposed developments in our area by:
- We promote interest in, and concern for, the history, geography and civic pride of Usk by arranging a series of talks in the autumn and winter months (held on the second Wednesday of each month at the Sessions House in Usk). See our Events Page.
- Responding to consultations on draft development plans published by the Local Planning Authority (Monmouthshire County Council);
- Scrutinising all planning applications and development proposals, submitting observations and objections to the relevant public body, statutory undertaking and others; we appear at public inquiries to express our views;
- Responding to consultations or documents prepared by the Welsh Government by submitting views on them.
- We promote good design and environmental improvement through annual Awards for Environmental Improvement, which were re-introduced in 2003 with a newly designed framed certificate.
- We contribute towards Usk in Bloom by financial support and by awards in the category ”Best House Front without a Garden”.
- We hold social events – a Summer Party and a Christmas Party at which the Environmental Improvement Awards are presented by our President. Details of social events appear in our Events Diary below.
- We attend Usk Show each September with an exhibition to broadcast and promote our activities and interests.
- Alfred Russel Wallace was born just outside Usk. The Civic Society plan to put up a statue to commemorate him in Twyn Square, Usk. Click for a web page with information on Wallace
- The Society has put up a number of Blue Plaques around Usk in historic locations.
How you can get involved
Membership of the Society is open to all. Individual membership is £6 a year; dual membership £10. As a member you will receive the annual newsletter and programme, can come to the autumn/winter talks and will be invited to the summer and Christmas parties. You can help stage the annual exhibition in the Society’s tent at the Usk Agricultural Show. You can raise with the Committee your planning and environmental concerns.
Click for Usk Civic Society Events